Managing the New Manager Moment
Starting from day one, a brand-new manager immediately steps into a challenging role. Just the other day, the employee was the expert with all the technical answers and all the know-how to complete tasks and assignments. Now, in everyone’s eyes, this person also needs to be an expert in successfully managing people.
To live up to the expectations, make sure to have the manager (and maybe it’s even you) start with some management fundamentals:
- Communicate Clearly. Be sure to constantly present and share how you and your team will contribute and make an impact to organization. Also, encourage suggestions and alternatives.
- Plan the Priorities. Discuss with your supervisor the most important initiatives and pressing priorities not just of your position but of the business in general.
- Schedule the Work. Establish your work hours and stick with them. Forecast how much time is needed to accomplish specific aspects of certain projects, and keep the eye on the calendar.
- Deem to Delegate. While it’s easy to get caught up in the nuts and bolts, your role is to identify and leverage the talents and resources available to accomplish your goals in the most effective and efficient manner possible.
- Recognize and Reward. Put to use the value of a sincere thank you which speaks volumes especially in a public setting. Be specific about what people are doing well and praise them openly and often.
- Check the Progress. Periodically review how well an employee or the team is performing and progressing. Make appropriate adjustments when business needs or circumstances change. Also, ensure you regularly get direct feedback regarding your own performance.
- Get a Guide. Find a personal mentor or professional confidant to openly talk through issues, challenges, and alternatives.
- Improve and Innovate. Immerse yourself in continued education to sharpen your professional expertise as well as expand your business acumen.
Like this content? MyPayrollHR clients have access to HR topics like this one on our HR Support Center.